analytics

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Trying to decide on a new army, again...

So, with the new edition of Warhammer, I, like many others, am considering a new army. Or maybe sprucing up an old one. Or maybe finishing one thats been sitting. Or something. Im not exactly sure (as in I have no idea) what I want to do yet, but Ive managed to squirrel some cash from selling those Dwarves away... Enough to add a few units to an old army, or start a (small) new one. So, lets see, gonna talk my way through the armies, maybe come up with an idea to work on...

Beasts of Chaos - One of my top contenders, adding some Ungors would make the current collection work, sorta.

Bretonnia - Not really interested in these guys, even if I have a few.

Daemons of Chaos - I like the idea of Daemons, and the new stuff is looking pretty spiffy, but there are two things holding me back: No plastic Plaguebearers yet, and the only model I have for them currently is a Keeper of Secrets. Id have to put a good chunk of money in just to use it.

Dark Elves - Ive got a 1k list for this army, all primed and even a bit of paint... however, I just cant get into the Corsairs, and the Warriors are really starting to show their age. Its getting harder for me to take them seriously.

Dwarves - Kinda funny, I sell off a bunch of these, and they get a bit of a buff from 8th. Ill pass for now, but reserve the right to come back eventually. ;)

Empire - I have always liked the Empire, and Ive got this fun idea of an Altdorf/Reikland combined force... But the only model I have is an old "limited" Valten in armor on foot. They are the lead in the "starting from scratch" list.

High Elves - These guys are currently taking up desktop real estate, Im assembling the archer unit that came in the Battalion box, then they will all be assembled. But I dont know if they are what I really want to be working on. Im thinking they are going to be fairly easy to paint, and do decently on the table. Close to the top of the "starting with existing models" list.

Lizardmen - I have a single problem with the Lizardmen, and its the goofy looking Cold Ones. Normally Id just ignore them, and go with the rest of a cool looking range, but they just ruin it all for me. Bleh.

Ogre Kingdoms - Another addition to the "got some" list, Id guess somewhere around 2k points, and little interest in doing anything with them.

Orcs and Goblins - Ive got the Skull Pass Night Goblins still, shouldnt be too much to get them to a minimum playable size, but really dont want to deal with a horde army...

Skaven - Speaking of horde armies...

Tomb Kings - Ive got over 2k of these guys, but I am thinking they are going to gather a bit more dust until the new book comes out.

Vampire Counts - On one hand, I could do that historical Von Carstein Family army Id been thinking about a while back, on the other, the VC are just another flavor of Undead, and I like my Mummies...

Warriors of Chaos - I keep pulling these guys out of their box, setting them up, looking at them, then tossing them back. Me from ten years ago is screaming. Im just not feeling it anymore.

Wood Elves - Know how the Cold Ones from the LM ruined them for me? For the Woodies, its one detail on a large number of models. Those stupid half masks. They just ruin the whole look for me.

So yeah, Ill be thinking about this for a while more I bet.

Another option would be to forget it all, and pick up the two rhinos I need to pump my Red Scorpions to 1500...

3 comments:

sonsoftaurus said...

Only one army on that list has a mention of "fun." That's your winner.

Sell a bunch of the other stuff you don't have a feel for anymore like the DE and WoC and jump into Empire. Maybe start by getting the Beastmen up to snuff if all you need is some Ungors so you'll have something to play while you build up the Empire.

Unknown said...

"There is no fun in Warhammer!!"

Hehehe, sorry, had to say it! ;)

But yeah, now that I am looking at it, you are right. I think Id skip on the Beastmen, and just use my (mothballed) Tomb Kings until the Empire is ready. Prolly should put a list together of what can go...

MasterDarksol said...

Gotta agree with SOT up there... Empire's the only one that you mentioned, where you seemed genuinely excited. Go with Empire.