analytics

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Stuff Happened Today!

Most of it good, one might be not so good.

I got home this morning, and did a bit of work on the Red Scorpion Assault Squad, finished up the eyes, purity seals, and most of the markings... thats when I decided I hated how the assault badge was turning out on the shoulder (the one on the jump packs wasnt as bad). So, I painted black over those, and am going to use decals instead. Ill just use them as the pattern and paint over them when they are dry.

So, after that, I got a bit of sleep, and then went to the Arundel Mills GW and actually got a game in. 1000 points, Red Scorpions vs Orks. Just a normal annihilation mission. While I think I did ok, there were some lessons learned.
- Jump Pack Marines should not take the long way around, they end up assaulting alone and getting wiped out.
-Devastators with blast weapons need to ignore the Killa Kans and focus on the huge-ass mobs of boys headed their way.
-Combat Squads might not be the best idea in a mission focusing on wiping out units. But, in my defense, it wouldnt have changed anything.

My list was this:
Captain with Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol, Meltabombs
Chaplain with Jump Pack, Meltabombs
Tac 1 (10) with Missile Launcher, Plasma Gun, Power Weapon, Meltabombs
Tac 2 (10) with Heavy Bolter, Flamer, Power Fist, Stormbolter, Meltabombs
Assault 1 (5) with Power Fist, Plasma Pistol, Meltabombs
Dev 1 (6) with two Plasma Cannons, two Missle Launchers

Yeah, I lost, but it was still fun, and Im pretty sure Ill be able to drag myself out for another game next week or the following one.

Third thing was after I got back I took a nap... when I got up, a friend of ours was visiting, and I learned that not only did her plans to move to Florida fall through, she is getting kicked out of her apartment. Whats that got to do with the price of tea in china? My wife is volunteering our guestroom as a place for her to stay... which means my table is on hold for now. Ill decide if I can get the space for that sorted out sooner or later.

2 comments:

eriochrome said...

For 1K points game you probably had to many HQ's. 1 HQ is enough for 1K. Those other points would probably been better spent getting the assault squad up to 10 and fleshing out the devastators.

I think the rule of thumbs is never combat squad in Annhilation unless you have a transport that really must carry a unit (landspeeder storm) that does not fit.

Unknown said...

Yeah, if I had more Red Scorpions I would have dropped the Chaplain. I was half thinking that a dreadnaut with assault cannon would have been more useful...