analytics

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Storm Fists and the new Codex

I have been wandering through the new Space Marine codex the past few days, and deciding how the changes affect my Storm Fists. Quick and easy answer is: Not much at all.

My basic 1500 CAD list changed a bit recently, as I swapped around a few special and heavy weapons, and split the scout squad into two units (and thus two missile launchers). The points fluctuated a bit, but worked out about the same value.

The long and dirty answer is a bit longer and dirtier...

Now, what about that Gladius formation? Well, I still need to finish models for it... Quick run up shows that I can EASILY make the demi-company formation up to 1500 points on its own, so I would need to change the way I run this army to get the required auxiliary formations. Basically, I would actually have to start on the table at the beginning of the game. (Boo!)

So, comparing formations to my collection, what do I need to add to get "street legal" on that side? Well, as mentioned Tuesday, Ive built a new Tactical squad, got a Devastator squad in the works, and I purchased an Assault squad box. So, demi-company is go.

I split my 10 scouts into two 5-man units, and built a third box thats been sitting for roughly three years now, which gives me a 10th Company Task Force.

I have a 10-man Sternguard squad all set, I am working on painting a 5-man Terminator squad.... and I have another Sternguard box that was hiding with the Scout unit, so once I build them Ill have a 1st Company Task Force.

A Stormtalon and a Stormraven only need another Stormtalon to give me a Stormwing Formation, which I am actually interested in running....

Next to last, I have a single Librarian, so if I add two more Ill have a Librarius Conclave. Not sure if this one is one I really want to use. Partially because I want to avoid "units of characters", and partially because fluff/story reasons. Though, I could see a Epistolary leading a pair of Lexicanium "apprentices". Hmm...

The final formation that I have models starting to get built up for is a second demi-company. Currently, a unit of 10 bikers (ok, 8 and an attack bike), and a box of Centurions. Figure Id add three Tactical squads and a Chaplain, then 3rd Company is ready to go. Idea I might do here is add two more Centurion models, then use the "floating" five Devastators as an ad hoc Command Squad for the Chaplain (which would give me a Reclusiam Command Squad if I ever so decided).

So, lets see. A Stormtalon, a pair of Librarians, three tactical squads, and a Chaplain would fill out the minimum models needed for these formations. Additional models needed to get them where *I* want them would be 5 more Assault marines, 3 Drop Pods, another box of Sternguard, 4 Rhino/Razorback kits, another box of Centurions... and probably a Land Raider Crusader for their transport.

Since transports are a big deal with the Gladius super-formation, I figure the demi-company Ive already nearly finished would be all drop pods, and the "beta" formation would be all rhinos/razorbacks/Land Raider for the big guys. One group running around, making trouble, and the other dropping in to spring the trap.

Once this is done, I might go back and look at some of the other formations...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd actually like to see the full list of the storm fists now with the new codex.. any chance of you posting the list?

Unknown said...

Ill see what I can do. Probably do a full post of it later this week.